I’ve seen it before and I’ve been guilty of it myself… Thinking it’s splurge time when we go out to eat.
I’ve heard it all… “I should enjoy it since I’m spending extra money!” “I don’t want to be judged for being the salad eater.” “I just don’t know what to order!”
I’m here today to tell you that you can both enjoy yourself while eating out AND stay on track with your health and fitness goals!
Here’s a list of ways to do just that:
- Look at the menu ahead of time when you aren’t hungry. Decide what you’re going to have then and don’t even open the menu when you get to the restaurant.
- Don’t be afraid of asking for accommodations. Most restaurants always have meat and vegetable entrees as options on the menu, but it’s ok to ask for that customization if not.
- I always ask client to eat something before they go out so they don't go in starving. (you'll be surprised at how much better you make with your choice on what you eat.)
- Drink a full glass of water before starting your meal. Keep your beverages calorie free.
- Plan to only eat half your food. This is a huge win because you eat less and you get leftovers!
It’s entirely possible to make good choices when you go out whether you’re doing fine dining or hitting a drive-thru.
These strategies can be incredibly helpful and make or break your success – especially if you do go out a lot or even travel often.
If you’re used to indulging when you go out, you might feel like you’re depriving yourself at first, but after you make the right choice, your absolute pride and confidence will outweigh any feeling of deprivation! And each time you win in that way, you build your belief in what you’re truly capable of.
The next time I go out, I’m having steak, soup, steamed or grilled veggies – how about you? ☺