The short name for this is the IT Band. When the IT Band gets tight the outside of your knee tends to get sore. If you walk, run, cycle, ect. and notice that the outside of your knee is aching or even feel a pinching sensation this typically mean your IT Band is extremely tight. Doing the following will help to relieve the pressure and pain.
- Lie on one side, with legs on top of the foam roll. Cross the top leg over lower leg, with foot touching the floor and the bottom leg raised slightly off floor.
- Maintain optimal head alignment (ears in line with shoulders).
- Draw abs in and activate glutes.
- Slowly roll from hip joint to outside of the knee to find the most tender spot.
- Once identified, hold tender spot until the discomfort is reduced by at least 75 percent.
- Progress to the next tender spot and hold again.
- Repeat on opposite leg.